Better fermentation temperature control

Discussion about Gear for Beer

Better fermentation temperature control

Postby samreese » Fri May 04, 2012 12:01 pm

I have been thinking about buying a dorm-sized fridge to used as a fermentation chamber to get better control of fermentation temperature. I would fit it with a Johnson external thermostat to dial in the temperature I want. Has anyone else done this? How well does it work?
Sam
samreese
BUZZard

BUZZard

Re: Better fermentation temperature control

Postby Phillip Wilson » Fri May 04, 2012 3:06 pm

I bought a full size fridge for $35 off of craigslist. Then I was lucky enough to find an old fridge down the street from my house for free. They both hold fairly consistent temps for fermenting lagers. Aside from my wife hating that I have two refridgerators in my garage, it is definitely worth getting full size fridges to fit a lot more beer.

I am ordering a controller for one of them so I can ferment ales and keep the temp up during the winter. From what I have read, Ranco produces a better product than Johnson controls, but I do not know from experience.
Phillip Wilson
BUZZard

BUZZard

Favorite Beer?: Livin' the High Life

Postby Marco » Fri May 04, 2012 3:37 pm

Anthony pointed me in the right direction on ebay for temperature controllers. Search the forum for "ebay" and you will see his recommendations. I bought a temperature control on ebay for my slightly-larger-than-a-dorm-fridge fridge and Lyle helped me wire it up. The cost for completing the project was less than $30. It works well except that I'm too busy right know to brew :(. I don't remember the name of the controller but that arrived in a box from China.

Polo
Marco
BUZZ Ancient

BUZZ Ancient

Favorite Beer?: Brown

Postby samreese » Fri May 04, 2012 8:35 pm

Thanks for the tips. Marco, do you know what kind of fridge you have? I don't have room for another full size fridge .

I appreciate the suggestion on temperature control. I have a Johnson for my kegerator which works well and maintains temp to within 1 degree.
samreese
BUZZard

BUZZard

Postby Marco » Fri May 04, 2012 8:53 pm

Sam
This is the temperature controller Anthony recommended in ebay and I bought: http://www.mjbcontrols.com.au/index.php?q=node/33. My fridge was a Craig's List find. It was made in Yugoslavia and is a Milovac Deluxe. LOL don't know where you'll be able to find another one but it fits a carboy nicely with a only a minor alteration made to it.
Polo
Marco
BUZZ Ancient

BUZZ Ancient

Favorite Beer?: Brown

Postby bpeugh » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:53 pm

I wonder if the temp controllers will work for my small fridge and freezer also because they are a lot cheaper than the Johnson Controls.
bpeugh
BUZZ Ancient

BUZZ Ancient

Return to Brewing Equipment